The wilderness advantage Posted on September 1st, 2009 by

There are pivotal moments in life that set us on a course that seems our destiny, and Noah Johnson, a graduating senior at Gustavus, remembers well that moment for him.

“People from the ELCA bible camp were on campus recruiting counselors for summer camp, and I just stopped to talk. I really wasn’t interested because I already had a summer job lined up,” said Johnson.

Before he knew what happened, he signed on and spent two summers in Amery, Wisc. at bible camp as a counselor , and that intensified his interest in religion.

Johnson is now graduating with a major in religion and communication studies and will be heading to Luther Seminary in St. Paul this fall with plans to enter the ministry.

His work with young people at camp was also a continuation of what he had been doing in St. Peter since starting at Gustavus.

Johnson helped develop a program called “Common Ground.” The mission of the program was for college students to mentor junior high students though recreation. He worked with 10 to 30 students each semester at the St. Peter Community Center doing a variety of recreational activities.

During his sophomore year, Johnson became immersed in the Hispanic community and really made friends with many Hispanic junior high students. That led to one of his most satisfying experiences as a Gustie.

“My mentoring experience led me to apply for a Phillips scholarship, so I wrote a proposal for the summer between my junior and senior year. I called the project “Wilderness Advantage” and intended it for junior high-age Hispanic students. I got the scholarship, and with humility, it’s something I’m very proud of,” explains Johnson.

He took two groups of ten students to Grand Marais near the Boundary Waters on the Gunflint Trail. Each group spent a week there doing rock climbing, swimming, canoeing, portaging, and lots of fishing.

“It was great to share with these kids things I had a passion for,” said Johnson.

Part of the Phillips scholarship program also required Noah to raise funds and recruit help. He credits Bob Weisenfeld, assistant vice president for corporate and foundation relations, and Mike Miller, former chair of the Department of Education, as two Gustavus employees who were very helpful.

“I built some great relationships with St. Peter organizations through this, and with help from Phillips, we raised $20,000 to support our initiatives. It was also interesting to sell the program to local businesses and churches, and they were all very supportive,” he says.

His work with young people is ongoing, as he continues to meet with the students every Monday night after school at Gustavus. Johnson also encourages the students to get involved with other programs offered there.

“I really believe in the power of recreational mentoring,” he says.

Johnson’s work in these areas also netted him one of the college’s Paul Magnuson Awards for leadership and service.

He also offers generous praise for the Center for Vocational Reflection on the Gustavus campus.

“The Center offers stipends for students who work at summer camp, and they really help with making connections,” he says.

Being a Gustavus Ambassador has also proved interesting for Noah.

“It was a really neat experience to be engaged in the community. I think this really helped build relationships with peers and helped reach another level of interacting with the administration, faculty, and alumni,” he says.

“During the presidential inauguration I ended up sitting at a table of pastors and had a chance to meet Charles Anderson, the former bishop of the Southwest Minnesota Synod of the ELCA, and we’ve ended up keeping in touch through e-mail. He is a St. Olaf graduate and sent me one of their T-shirts, so I sent him a Gustavus shirt. I have a lot of stories about great things like this that happen at Gustavus,” Johnson says.

Johnson’s sister Hannah is also a student at Gustavus and was chosen for St. Lucia this year. That honor is reserved for a sophomore girl who exemplifies leadership, service, and community service at Gustavus as well as in the St. Peter community.

Noah also has worked part-time in the Dean of Students office and enjoyed that experience.

“That really gave me an opportunity to form great relationships with Assistant Dean Patti Kelly, Dean Hank Toutain and administrative assistant Linda Riebesell, and they’ve been very helpful,” Johnson says.

As he moves to the next phase of his life, Johnson says he feels that Gustavus has prepared him well.

“My senior thesis was very challenging and was a great experience. I feel like I’m very prepared for seminary,” he said.

Johnson has also recently learned that he has received a St. Paul Missional Scholarship for Seminary for “working within a cultural community and sharing the good news.”

When asked why he came to Gustavus, Johnson wasn’t quite sure, but he leaves knowing that the decision was the right one for him. People who have met Noah Johnson will say it was great for Gustavus too.