Summer as a Servant Leader Posted on September 1st, 2009 by

Esther Mulder was chosen to participate in the Center for Vocational Reflection Servant Leadership Program at Gustavus Adolphus College.

By Esther Mulder

Since the first time I went to camp, I had always dreamed of becoming one of those counselors of whom I thought the world. After my first year of college, my time had finally come. I spent the summer running around with hundreds of goofy kids, bonded with some amazing young girls and women, and was as impacted by my campers as (I hope) they were impacted by me.

This opportunity was given to me through the college’s Center for Vocational Reflection Servant Leadership Program, which recognizes students who are making the choice to spend their summer in the service of others, and taking an income cut at the same time. Students apply for the yearlong program full of workshops and group meetings, retreats, and a banquet. As a participant, students receive a $1,500 stipend for the summer. This stipend is what makes it possible for many of the participants to follow their heart into a summer of service.

There were points I would stop in the middle of whatever I was doing this summer, and just be in awe that THIS was my summer job. Sure, by the end of the day I was asleep before I hit the pillow, and some kids were incredibly challenging, but even those were good things! I was tired from doing something meaningful all day. And those challenging kids, at the end of the week when they were crying because they didn’t want to go home and leave camp and me, it was all more than worth it.

At Gustavus a large number of students choose to sacrifice higher-paying jobs and the comforts of home and family to spend their summers with kids from all walks of life at summer camp. The college recognizes this sacrifice as a very worthy one, and so has provided for a way to make working as a camp counselor all summer more practical for students.

Gustavus is true to its mission statement in this endeavor, and I speak for more than just myself when I say the students affected by this are incredibly appreciative.

Esther was one of 37 students selected for this 2005-06 program. She was a camp counselor at Lake Wapogasset Bible Camp in Amery, Wisconsin.